For the latest in The Baker's Dozen feature at RGM Nick Workman from British AOR/Melodic Rock act Vega is in the chair. The band will release their fifth album 'Only Human' on May 11th via Frontiers. The album was mixed and mastered by Harry Hess of Harem Scarem fame and you can catch the band live on their UK tour in June 2018. So please read on as Nick discusses Star Wars, True Detective and the mysterious Bootleg Snake:
1. What is your earliest musical memory?
It was either my Dad's vinyl albums The Beatles 'Please Please Me' or Boney M. Which is the coolest? haha
2. Do you remember the name of your first band?
Yes, Bootleg Snake!!!!
3. Which current artist do you hear and just go Wow?
I’m not sure if it’s a “wow” but I like Greta Van Fleet and I really like The Struts. I can’t wait for the new Struts album. I think Butch Walker produced it so that makes it even more exciting!
4. Do you sit down to write songs or do you wait until your mojo comes to get you?
Sometimes a song just happens without any effort and then on the flip side, some songs take a few goes but you can feel there is something there. It just takes a little longer for the songs to feel right.I like both ways for different reasons.
5. Big venue or small venue - what's your favourite to play?
Well, we are a band that dreams of big venues so big. Having played some in my time I do much prefer big because of the sound of the PA and the crowd noise. Plus, the toilets and the dressing rooms are a lot cleaner haha.
6. Who is the one artist you wish you could share a stage with (past or present)?
I’ve made no secret of my love for Def Leppard so I’d say them in the present and for the hell of it I would love to have shared a stage with Michael Hutchence and INXS.
7. Bowie, Prince, Sinatra, Elvis which departed great means the most to you?
I like them all for different reasons but I don’t know if I could say I was emotionally attached to any of them, When Bowie and Price passed away I was sad to hear the news but I felt more sad at the passing of Michael Hutchence and Steve Lee of Gotthard.
8. Is a saxophone solo ever ok?
Never gonna happen in VEGA! haha
9. Should music be free?
It is, isn’t it? Ha. Do you work for free? Of course not. How would you see all the amazing live shows if bands have no money? How would bands record albums and afford to even eat? When we tour, the ticket sales pay for the tour costs. The albums are paid for by album sales.
10. Can you remember the first record you bought and what have you bought recently?
The first record I bought was ‘Star Wars’ on vinyl. Not the soundtrack though. It was the film highlights. I still have that and I got ‘Empire Strikes Back’. Good memories. The most recent purchase was Greta Van Fleet.
11. What was the last song that made you cry actual tears?
I’m sad to say it’s never happened. Music makes me happy, even the sad songs. I appreciate good music and get high off it rather than sad.
12. Do you binge watch Netflix / Amazon / DVD box sets (any recommendations)? Do you have a guilty pleasure in Film or TV you’ll admit to watching and loving?
Yeah, I do binge a lot.I just re-watched ‘The Night Manager’ and must have watched the first season of ‘True Detective’ three times. I love both ‘Stranger Things’ seasons and the new show ‘Deep State’. Guilty Pleasures? Nah I don’t feel guilty haha. I repeat watch a few films. ‘The Equaliser’ and ‘Captain America-The Winter Soldier’ are great recent films. Maybe ‘Notting Hill’ could be counted a guilty pleasure?
13. What is the most important thing to you that you can see from where you are right now?
My acoustic guitar that my Mum and Dad gave me for my birthday many, many years ago. I do most of my writing on that. It’s not an expensive guitar but it means the world to me.