As a companion to his forthcoming, seven years in the writing, autobiography 'Born To Run' Bruce Springsteen will release a compilation album on September 23rd that includes 5 previously unreleased tracks including The Castiles and Steel Mill recordings. Please read on for the full track listing and a preview trailer.
UPDATE: August 16th:
Want to get a jump on the release of the autobiography then you are in luck as Bruce Springsteen has shared the forward to 'Born To Run' on his official site here
'Chapter and Verse,' the audio companion to Bruce Springsteen's extraordinary forthcoming autobiography, will be released on 23rd September through Columbia Records. The career-spanning compilation will be released four days before Simon & Schuster publishes 'Born to Run.' Five of the album's 18 tracks have not been previously released.
Springsteen selected the songs on 'Chapter and Verse' to reflect the themes and sections of 'Born to Run.' The compilation begins with two tracks from The Castiles, featuring a teenage Springsteen on guitar and vocals, and ends with the title track from 2012's 'Wrecking Ball.' The collected songs trace Springsteen's musical history from its earliest days, telling a story that parallels the one in the book.
Recordings from Steel Mill and The Bruce Springsteen Band feature musicians who would go on to play in The E Street Band. Solo demos of "Henry Boy" and "Growin' Up" were cut in 1972 shortly before Springsteen began recording his debut album, 'Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.'
'Chapter and Verse' will be available as a single CD and double LP, as well as via digital download and streaming. The package will include lyrics and rare photos. 'Chapter & Verse' will be available for preorder on Friday 29th July.
'Chapter and Verse' song titles:
1. Baby I — The Castiles (recorded May 2, 1966, at Mr. Music, Bricktown, NJ; written by Bruce Springsteen and George Theiss; previously unreleased)
2. You Can't Judge a Book by the Cover — The Castiles (recorded Sept. 16, 1967, at The Left Foot, Freehold, NJ; written by Willie Dixon; previously unreleased)
3. He's Guilty (The Judge Song) — Steel Mill (recorded Feb. 22, 1970, at Pacific Recording Studio, San Mateo, CA; previously unreleased)
4. Ballad of Jesse James — The Bruce Springsteen Band (recorded March 14, 1972, at Challenger Eastern Surfboards, Highland, NJ; previously unreleased)
5. Henry Boy (recorded June 1972, at Mediasound Studios, New York, NY; previously unreleased)
6. Growin' Up (recorded May 3, 1972, at Columbia Records Recordings Studios, New York, NY; previously appeared on 'Tracks')
7. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) (1973, 'The Wild, The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle')
8. Born to Run (1975, 'Born to Run')
9. Badlands (1977, 'Darkness on the Edge of Town')
10. The River (1980, 'The River')
11. My Father's House (1982, 'Nebraska')
12. Born in the U.S.A. (1984, 'Born in the U.S.A.')
13. Brilliant Disguise (1987, 'Tunnel of Love')
14. Living Proof (1992, 'Lucky Town')
15. The Ghost of Tom Joad (1995, 'The Ghost of Tom Joad')
16. The Rising (2002, 'The Rising')
17. Long Time Comin' (2005, 'Devils & Dust')
18. Wrecking Ball (2012, 'Wrecking Ball')
All songs written and performed by Bruce Springsteen except as noted.
Springsteen’s gripping 500-page autobiography, 'Born to Run,' will be released internationally on 27th September, published in hardcover, e-book, and audio editions by Simon & Schuster in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and India, as well as other publishers around the world. Springsteen has been privately writing the autobiography over the past seven years. He began work in 2009, after performing with the E Street Band at the Super Bowl’s halftime show. 'Born To Run' is available for pre-order here: http://smarturl.it/borntorunbook.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are currently on tour in Europe and will return to the U.S. for a string of dates beginning 23rd August at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, and ending on 14th September at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, MA.