Southampton based Lucas & King were the very first act to receive a live review at RGM way back in 2014. In the four years since the duo have been busy honing their craft and their highly anticipated debut album will finally see the light of day on November 23rd. We caught up with Bo and Hayleigh for a quick chat as they became the latest artist to encounter The Baker’s Dozen:
1. What is your earliest musical memory?
Bo – singing no doubt on the stairs in our house with my dad on guitar, I think I was 3.
Hayleigh – Trying to work out twinkle twinkle little star on a keyboard by ear.
2. Do you remember the name of your first band?
Bo –Hard Shoulder age 10
Hayleigh – Lucas & King
3. Which current artist do you hear and just go Wow?
Lana del Rey I think she has created a complete sound of her own. It has such an atmosphere to it.
4. Do you sit down to write songs or do you wait until your mojo comes to get you?
Generally it’s the mojo, we usually sit down to work on the initial idea.
5. Big venue or small venue - what's your favourite to play?
Either, they are both completely different experiences, though if it was a choice between a big rather empty venue and a full intimate gig, the latter would definitely be preferable.
6. Who is the one artist you wish you could share a stage with (past or present)?
Bo – Marilyn Monroe, I’m not sure what sort of music we would do, but she is the ultimate icon to me.
Hayleigh – I’ve always had a soft spot for Laura Marling
7. Bowie, Prince, Sinatra, Elvis which departed great means the most to you?
Bo – Bowie, even though I love Elvis!
Hayleigh - Elvis
8. Is a saxophone solo ever ok?
Absolutely, Careless whisper!
9. Should music be free?
I think if music was free than unfortunately there would be no one who could make a living off of it, I guess a lot of our music is free these days, we can access it on youtube and Spotify completely freely.
10. Can you remember the first record you bought and what have you bought recently?
Bo Barbie girl- Aqua on cassette
Hayleigh –Spice girls on cassette
Bo Recently – Allah-Las
Hayleigh – I don’t tend to buy much music but I’ve been listening to the new Ben Howard album a fair bit.
11. What was the last song that made you cry actual tears?
Bo The last song Lady Gaga sings in ‘a star is born’ the whole film made me cry
Hayleigh – He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother – The Hollies
12. Do you binge watch Netflix / Amazon / DVD box sets (any recommendations)? Do you have a guilty pleasure in Film or TV you’ll admit to watching and loving?
Bo- I love mysteries and thrillers, the Scandi Nior ‘The Bridge’ is the last thing I binge-watched and me and Hayleigh are obsessed with ‘This Is Us’
Guilty pleasure film probably ‘Far and Away’ with Tom cruise and Nicole kidman, or 80’s classic ‘Pretty in Pink’
Hayleigh – I’m a documentary lover (Exciting I know) Film guilty pleasure would be School of Rock or any of the Harry Potters.
13. What is the most important thing to you that you can see from where you are right now?
Bo -A mug of coffee
Hayleigh – A guitar