Fresh from the release of his latest ‘Modern Man’ album via Aveline Records (which is an excellent release and well worth checking out) Benjamin Folke Thomas took the time to complete a Baker’s Dozen for RGM that revealed an obsession with pool and a slightly worrying love of reality TV. Benjamin Folke Thomas will be touring the UK to promote ‘Modern Man’ this month with an album launch show at The Lexington, London on November 25th.
What is your earliest musical memory?
”Listening to Swedish 70’s children’s programme music. Or seeing Michael Jackson on his History tour when i was 8.”
2. Do you remember the name of your first band?
”Who doesn’t? That was the name”
3. Which current artist do you hear and just go Wow?
”I’ve been traveling a lot with John Murry. I go wow every time i hear or see him sing, walk or play guitar. I also really love Lucinda Williams at this moment.”
4. Do you sit down to write songs or do you wait until your mojo comes to get you?
”I play so much pool these days that I barely have time for writing songs. But the great thing is that when I do put my mind to it they seem to come together pretty quickly. Soon I’ll stop playing pool and focus solely on writing and playing music and just play pool in the evenings”
5. Big venue or small venue - what's your favourite to play?
”Big venues, i think you have to get used to playing big venues for the answer to ever change”
6. Who is the one artist you wish you could share a stage with (past or present)?
7. Bowie, Prince, Sinatra, Elvis which departed great means the most to you?
8. Is a saxophone solo ever ok?
”Stupid question. Is it ok to eat?”
9. Should music be free?
”All music should be free to purchase”
10. Can you remember the first record you bought and what have you bought recently?
”My first was Spice Girls, the most recent was Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker”
11. What was the last song that made you cry actual tears?
”I rarely cry so can’t tell you. Probably to some Nanci Griffith or Townes van Zandt song”
12. Do you binge watch Netflix / Amazon / DVD box sets (any recommendations)?
”My favourite series are John Adams, Lonesome Dove, House of Cards and the Bridge.”
12.b Do you have a guilty pleasure in Film or TV you’ll admit to watching and loving?
”Paradise Hotel, Ex on The Beach. I love all that stuff”
13. What is the most important thing to you that you can see from where you are right now?
”Me and my wife’s bed”1
Benjamin Folke Thomas 2018 UK Tour Dates
Wednesday 21st November - The Castle Hotel, Manchester
Thursday 22nd November - The White Hart, Corby
Friday 23rd November - The Prince Albert, Stroud
Saturday 24th November - The Railway Inn, Winchester
Sunday 25th November - The Lexington, London
Monday 26th November - The Kitchen Garden Cafe, Birmingham